[Framers] OT-Documenting APIs

Grant Hogarth grant at hedgewizard.net
Thu Nov 23 11:12:49 PST 2017

Hi Shmuel
You are correct.  The second form are usually called REST or RESTful
applications.
The main difference from our perspective is that for the REST type, you
really do need to provide a lot more "recipes" for how the various HTTP
requests (GET, POST, PATCH, DELETE, HEAD, OPTIONS, etc.) are used, and
which requests are and are not supported.
This is because the same API will behave (and respond) differently
depending on the type of request being made. A GET, for example, only
returns information from the target, while a POST or PATCH will change
the target.
A use case (highly recommended), should show how a user would make a
request using a GET to retrieve information (for example, the name of
the resource), and then use a PATCH to change the name.

For my own purposes, I define an "Example" as a single use of a command
or call/request, and a "Use Case" as a collection of commands/calls that
show how the user would achieve a desired task. By analogy, a Use Case
is a routine that is composed of subroutines, while an Example would be
a single-operation sub-routine.

Does this help?
Grant