[Framers] Old FrameMaker books?

Monique Semp monique.semp at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 2 14:51:09 PDT 2017

>This might be the reason we stopped actually doing index entries and have
>been quietly deleting index files from our books (I have a former co worker
>from another company who is in horror over this idea).  Use the search,
>people.

Well, sure. If I know the exact word to look for, ^F will find it. But what
if it's  concept that might be described multiple ways? Or something that I
don't necessarily know I need but that jumps out when I scan the index? For
a nice explanation of why an index is important, I recommend this from the
American Society for Indexing website:
https://www.asindexing.org/about-indexing/frequently-asked-questions/#FAQ1006.

I certainly understand why we tech writers so rarely create indexes these
days, but that doesn't mean it's the ideal situation. And most certainly ^F
searching is an inadequate substitute for a good human-generated index.

-Monique