[Framers] How do you identify an advanced Framemaker user?

Pat Christenson Pat.Christenson at morningstar.com
Mon Apr 16 13:13:04 PDT 2018

I've interviewed a few people for such a position in the past. Here's what has worked for me.

- Basic questions, such as How long have you  used FrameMaker? What is the latest version you've used? What's the largest number of FM users you've supported? What types of documents/books (financial, medical, etc.) have you supported?

- Ask them to describe a complex template (book preferably) they've built.

- Ask them to send that template to you. (They may not be able to because of company rules. In that case, ask if they can send a different template.)

- Ask them to describe a FrameMaker challenge and how they handled it.

- Ask them to describe a creative solution or workaround in FrameMaker they've developed.

- Describe a real-life FrameMaker problem/challenge you've faced and ask how they would handle it.

These last two sound pretty basic but you can learn quite a bit about their experience level from the answers:

- What is your favorite feature in FrameMaker (or favorite thing about FrameMaker templates)?

- What features would you add to FrameMaker? (I've found this is a better question than "What would you change?")

I've been very pleased with the hires I've made or recommended using questions such as these. I've never administered an actual test.

I hope you will share what you come up with. Good luck!

Pat