[Framers] How do you identify an advanced Framemaker user?

Bernard Aschwanden bernard at publishingsmarter.com
Tue Apr 17 06:37:36 PDT 2018

Lin: Consider making a list of why Word annoys you and share it with others
internally or on the list here.

For example:

1. Numbering
   a. Restarting and continuing lists
   b. Subordinate lists
4. Resetting numbering
   c. within lists
   d. between lists
5. Just get me FM

As for Advanced Users: First off, is it an advanced user who creates content
as an author or one who builds templates? Or even one who has to work with
structure and build/maintain the EDD?

In all cases, a few things to think about or ask them about:

Do they know about this discussion list?
How long have they used FM?
Can they define what a reference page, master page, and body page is and
does?
Do they know what text frames and text lines are?
Do they import images by reference?
Can they troubleshoot numbering (see the above sample)?
How do they manage paragraph or character tags?
Can they import formats between documents?
How do they propose to deal with a document that has manual overrides in it?
Can they generate a book, TOC, and IX file from templates without guidance?
Is there something that YOU learn from them about the tool?
How did they learn FM?

That's a short list from me. Oh, and add in this one: Have them teach you a
feature (even if you know it) and see what their workflow is.

Bernard

PS. I also used to ask for a cover letter and resume in FM format. Serious
users provided me with a way to gauge how they use the tool for a document
that may have unique challenges. I got to see their approach to tags, empty
paragraphs, watermarks, variables, or whatever else they felt like putting
into it. A great insight.