[Framers] How do you identify an advanced Framemaker user?

ideaslists at ideastraining.com ideaslists at ideastraining.com
Wed Apr 18 07:34:51 PDT 2018

I would look at a number of things...

First, is one looking for a technical writer or a strict Frame production
person? If the former, writing style is more important than Frame knowledge
_IF_ the person has an openness to learn new/different programs and workflow
methods.

Second, 50% of any workflow is based on company politics. (A made up
number...) Is the company hiring willing to listen to new workflow ideas,
such as PDF review cycles, modified templates for streamlined production,
etc. or is the company stuck in the "that's the way we have always done it"
mode.

Third, related to the second issue, we are assuming the new person is coming
into a situation of working with "good" templates. Technically, this is an
unknown. This could create a problem with giving a test. For example, if I
was given a test, but had to work on a template that has problems or things
I would improve, I could have trouble with working with it. If I starting
critiquing the template, I would come across as "contrary" and "not a team
player". You might consider hiring a outside consultant to review the files
first from
https://training.adobe.com/training/partner-finder.html#p=1&product=adobe-fr
ame-maker&type=aci . I've seen templates designed by "experts" that have
impressed me and others that have surprised me with how bad they were.

Finally, asking for templates does actually tell you what the person did in
the creation of the templates; the same holds true for writing examples. The
person could have simply worked with existing templates and the writing
could have been part of a team effort.

Below are some topics that come to mind, but it is not exhaustive.
For writing with an existing template, I would look at:
- Proper use of spell checker, including how to import/export dictionaries
into documents.
- Proper use of Find/Change, including GREP.
- Proper method of using existing Paragraph and Character styles.
- Best method of importing Word and Excel documents with and without
formats.
- Proper creation of cross-references, user variables, hyperlinks, etc.
- Proper method of creating and adding new chapters to an existing book and
updating book.
- Exporting the file/book to existing PDF preset.

For unstructured Frame template knowledge, I would look at:
- Best practices for names styles for usage efficiency (this is a very
subjective area).
- Knowledge of use, editing, and creation of Paragraph styles, including how
to edit multiple styles at once.
- Knowledge of automatic numbering best practices.
- Knowledge of use, editing, and creating of Character styles (using As Is
settings).
- Knowledge of use, editing, and creating of Table styles and custom table
formatting.
- Knowledge of use, editing, and creating of master pages, including custom
pages.
- Knowledge of the difference between import of text and graphics, using the
copy into document and import by reference settings.

Intermediate
- Knowledge of creation, use, editing, of Books, including numbering and
pagination settings using folders and groups.
- Knowledge of creation, use, editing, of generated files, including editing
reference pages.
- Knowledge of editing cross reference styles, applying character styles to
x-refs and variables.
- Knowledge of using text insets.
- Editing of images in Photoshop or similar program.
- Best method for different types of imported graphics, including how to
scan line art such as schematics.
- Knowledge of PDF settings and how to do a PDF review cycle in Acrobat Pro.

- Knowledge of conditional text.
- Reuse of existing generated pages from one book to another.

Structured templates is a separate list, but the template designer would
need to know the above first.

David Creamer
IDEAS Training
Adobe Certified Instructor and FrameMaker Consultant since 1991