[Framers] Frame alone or Adobe too?

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Wed Apr 18 09:46:32 PDT 2018

If you're going to convert to Word from PDF, you might want to used
tagged PDF for the conversion. Original PDF was not interested in the
data, only its position. PDFs purpose is page layout. The idea of PDF is
to create a document that looks exactly the same on every computer
screen, with no changes due to text flow, installed fonts, window size,
etc. Consequently, it stores data in very strange ways. Words aren't
necessarily stored as words, or paragraphs as paragraphs. The phrase
"text frame" might be stored as "te," "xtf," "r," and "ame" objects, for
example, and PDF tracks which font and where to draw these bits of text.
It's weird that the text blocks that are created by PDF, and the visible
order of them, might even be stored in a different order in the file. So
trying to put these objects back into proper order for conversion to
other formats may not work well.

Anyway, as I recall, using tagged PDF causes the PDF to actually store
paragraphs as paragraph blocks, etc. So, reconstructing the data in a
proper way for conversion from PDF to Word should be better.

Mike Wickham