[Framers] An annoying FM 12 "feature"

tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com
Wed Aug 15 12:40:02 PDT 2018

Hi All,

OK, I have tested this one for several applications that you use .temp or
the equivalent of .lck files and in Frame 12 after I save and close a file
or a book, the .lck file is not always being cleared. I noticed this early
on in FM 12 but I guess because I am using FM 12 now exclusively, it has
become more apparent to me. Of course, when I attempt to open a file or book
that I have saved and closed, I don’t expect to receive that annoying
“Locked file” message that requires the extra step of unlocking the
file/book before use.

Case in point – I just updated a book, generated the PDF and because I was
satisfied with the PDF, I saved all the files in the book, closed all files
in the book, and then when I went to close the book, I got an expected
message about saving changes to the book (based on what I had done to the
book) and I clicked Yes. The book closed.

I just went back to open the book, and from File > Open, and then selecting
the book, I get the message that the book is locked, yada, yada, yada. I
opened the book’s directory in Windows Explorer, and voilá, not only was
there a lock file for the book but also for all the individual FM files even
though I had saved and closed them first.

This is driving me nuts.

I opened some Office docs., like for example a Windows doc, then opened a
second session of the same doc., and got the expected .temp files and
read-only messages, but when I closed and saved the files, the .temp files
were gone from my directory. I tested other file types as well like this and
FM is the ONLY application that is giving me this persistency issue.

Anyone else seen this problem with FM12? I am running Win 10, all updated,
64-bit system.

Thanks!

Tammy Van Boening

Tammy dot vanboening at spectrumwritingllc dot com

www.spectrumwritingllc.com