[Framers] Single Doctype, Multiple Applications

Scott Prentice sp14 at leximation.com
Tue Jul 31 08:13:18 PDT 2018

Hi Rick...

In DITA-FMx, the way I handle that is with a feature I call "component
templates." Each top-level topicref (or topicref-based element) in the
root map becomes a chapter in the book that's generated from the map.
Each of these topicrefs can have an outputclass value assigned that
specifies a different template applied to that component. This only
happens at "publish" time, and the default template is applied while
authoring, since you likely don't care about formatting while authoring.

If, however, you're trying to apply a different app in order to achieve
a different transform or structure for authoring, this technique won't
work. If this is the goal, I'd consider creating a specialization for
that topic type and set that up to open with the correct app.

You're probably aware of this, but keep in mind that one of the problems
of having multiple templates/apps assigned to different doctypes (or to
the same doctype), is that this will cause conflicts when you publish
multiple topics as one FM file (as is often the case), since each FM
file can only have one template, the last one applied will win.

Or .. if you have multiple apps defined in your structure app definition
file that all have the same doctype, when you open a file that matches
that doctype, you should get the "app disambiguator" dialog .. no? If
you open by clicking the topicref in a map, the "default" app for that
DITA doctype may get applied, but if you open the topic directly, you
should get a dialog listing the available apps.

Good luck!
...scott