[Framers] XML Requirements

Scott Prentice sp14 at leximation.com
Wed Jun 13 15:01:57 PDT 2018

Hi C2...

If your model is very simple, you could create your own, but then you'd
have to develop and maintain your structure application and publishing
workflow (not for the faint-hearted). If you use DITA or Lightweight
DITA, you get the structure applications for free as well as publishing
tools for every output you can think of. You also get lots of support
from other people using that model. Even if DITA isn't exactly what you
need, I think the benefit of the tools and support will typically
outweigh the effort of building your own model.

BTW .. if you want to use Lightweight DITA, my application, DITA-FMx,
supports that model and includes a (BETA) LwDITA structure application.
And you can install DITA-FMx on all FM versions back to 8.0 (really 7.2,
but that's a stretch). Contact me off-list of you have questions about this.

Oh .. regarding HTML and FM .. *if* your HTML is XHTML, and *if* you're
willing to define just how the elements are used, you can create a
structure application that will work. It's not perfect, but it is possible.

Cheers,

Scott Prentice
Leximation, Inc.
www.leximation.com