[Framers] Starting DITA 1.2

Roger Shuttleworth shuttie27 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 02:51:56 PDT 2018

Further to Scott's excellent advice:

There are two separate issues here. One is DITA, and the other is
structured authoring in FrameMaker. Of these, you should tackle the
latter first. DITA is only one of the possible structures that you could
use; the important first step is to bring your mindset to think in terms
of structure as well as content. I am very grateful for a course that I
attended many years ago on structured writing. On that course, having
determined what our document structure should be, we simply used
paragraph and character formats to define it by making full use of the
"Next Pfg Format" property in the Paragraph Designer.

So you should constantly be asking yourself, "What IS this?" as well as
"What should it say?" From your original post, it sounds as though you
already have the concepts of structure in your existing manuals -
consistent use of paragraph formats, and so on.

Having got that mindset under control, it was relatively easy to ensure
that all new content was written in a structured way, still using
unstructured FM. And that, in turn, made it easier to transition to
structured FM later on.

My advice would be to try writing some sample topics using the default
DITA 1.2 application that is supplied with FM. (Caveat: My latest
version is FM11, so I'm assuming that it is the same in newer versions.)

Another important piece of advice (IMHO): Forget about XML for the time
being. You can use DITA or any other structure without having to convert
it to XML. I did that for a couple of years before even attempting to
create XML. XML output is not without its own challenges, which you
don't need at this stage.

Since you are documenting programming commands, most of your topics will
be DITA <reference> topics. You can wrap these in higher-level <topic>
topics, keeping them all in one document. That is a whole lot easier
than creating hundreds of standalone topic files - that can come later
on. So forget about ditamaps for now.

I hope this helps.

Some versions back Adobe supplied with FM a structured authoring
"cookbook", which was a tutorial with a set of files that you could work
on. It was a great learning tool. Unfortunately, in their wisdom they
discontinued it, but someone on the list may be able to supply you with
it - I think it was pre-FM9.

Regards,

Roger