[Framers] Going bonkers with an x-ref format

tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com
Wed Mar 14 11:14:18 PDT 2018

For a current project, I have 30 FM books that are converted to PDFs and
then used to create a merged OLH system in ePub. There are links scattered
throughout every file in every book that are inter-book links that are
converted and maintained in the PDFs.  I have two paragraph tags called
FileName_PDF and FileName_OLH. These tags have an autonumber format set to
the name of the PDF file and the OLH TOC entry accordingly, for example,
Objects. PDF and Objects, and the character tag is set to White.  I place
these tags immediately after the ChapterTitle tag on the first page of very
chapter/file in a book. Because they are white, the values do not show/are
not visible in the chapter/file.

In the text of files, for an inter-book, x-ref, I use two formats, w/ the
format that uses the FileName_PDF conditionalized to Print_Only and the
format that uses the FileName_OLH set to OLH_Only. These links are set to
the following format:

<Link>"<$paratext>" in <$paranum[FileName_PDF]>.
<Link>"<$paratext>" in <$paranum[FileName_OLH]>.

That way, in the PDF, the user will see something such as: For more
information, see "Blah" in Objects.PDF, while in the OLH, the user will see
something such as: For more information, see "Blah" in Objects.

If the x-ref is to a Heading1, Heading2, Heading3, etc. tag, then the text
is displayed as expected in the example above; however, if the x-ref is to a
ChapterTitle, then I get only this: For more information, see "Blah" in < >
and no matter what, the FileName_PDF value or the FileName_OLH value will
not populate/be displayed, which makes no sense as these values are indeed
in the chapter. I thought it had something to do w/ the fact that I was
requesting to link just to paratext and so I even set up a test x-ref format
like this:

<Link>Chapter <$chapnum>, "<$paratext>," in <$paranum[FileName_PDF]>, but
again, no joy.

I am totally stumped. Why on earth would referencing a ChapterTitle
paragraph prevent an autonumber value from being displayed in an x-ref? I
must absolutely be able to reference a chapter title in this type of x-ref.
Any and all thoughts are sincerely appreciated.

TIA,

TVB

Tammy Van Boening
Tammy dot vanboening at spectrumwritingllc dot com
www.spectrumwritingllc.com