[Framers] Fwd: Managing Versions of documentation simultaneously

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Wed May 2 05:35:58 PDT 2018

You can use conditional text to do this, but you have to be very careful
with tagging the conditional text. I've done this with a very, very
complicated documentation set: 3 main platforms with between 2-4 versions
each, with internal and external conditions on top of that.

There are two ways to approach this:

One is to have only one condition applied to any text. This has the
disadvantage of requiring duplication of text if you have identical text
in, say, two versions of the document but not in a third, and you also have
to have a separate condition for each possible output. It has the advantage
that you only have to turn on one condition to see a particular document,
which simplifies creating output enormously.

The other is to layer conditions on text that appears in multiple versions
of the document. This has the advantage of having the text in the document
only once, which cuts down on updating that information for multiple
versions of a document. It has the disadvantage of requiring the use of
Frame's conditional expression builder, and this can get hairy depending on
the number of conditions and outputs you have. I've done this (see above),
but it took me a while to work out how.

At some point, I'll have to finish my write-up of how to create conditional
expressions, since Frame's documentation on this is minimal. I got a LOT of
help from this list, though, so if I have time over the next couple of
nights I'll try to finish that write up and share it with people.

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 1:52 AM, Caroline Tabach <caroline.tabach at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Caroline Tabach

Lin Sims