[Framers] Fwd: Managing Versions of documentation simultaneously

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Wed May 2 10:45:15 PDT 2018

The nature of software releases means that the number of conditions
would grow indefinitely. I don't see how this would not eventually
become unmanageable.

DITA (which is just a text markup standard) doesn't make sense if you
don't have a lot more reuse than simply maintaining multiple versions
of a doc. Typically it's cost-effective in large organizations where
multiple products share features (and thus can reuse content in their
docs) and the docs are translated into multiple languages, and in that
context it defines the format for files that are managed by a
compatible CMS, which is integrated with an editor such as Oxygen and
often custom code for generating PDF, online help, static HTML for web
sites, etc.

For a small or medium-sized company, DITA's almost certainly the wrong
choice. Paligo and I believe Author-it provide integrated systems with
similar features. Flare with MadCap Central may also be a practical
and cost-effective alternative.