[Framers] ePub

Scott Prentice sp14 at leximation.com
Mon Oct 15 11:37:56 PDT 2018

Hi Doug...

I assume you're using the EPUB export in FM? The FM version will affect
the output significantly, newer versions much better than older. As Rick
points out, the formatting is controlled by CSS. There are many reasons
that formatting in your source may now end up as expected in the EPUB. I
haven't looked at the EPUB output from FM 2019 yet, but I think it's the
same as it was in FM 2017 (I hear that RH 2019 has a new engine though
.. need to test that).

One of the big problems with EPUB output from FM (and most tools), is
that the underlying HTML/CSS is not terribly clean. There's likely a lot
of hard-coded styling (@style attributes on HTML elements) .. when it
should be purely @class attribute driven so it's easier to control.
You'll also see differences in the rendering of pages depending on the
EPUB reader you're using.

You can look at the HTML/CSS markup by extracting the files from within
the EPUB. Just change the file extension to ".zip" and use your favorite
archive tool. In theory you can make edits and zip it back up, but this
may create an invalid EPUB (the order of files in the archive is
important, and most archive tools don't let you define that order). If
you're serious about EPUB, you should get a copy of Oxygen XML Editor.
It lets you open EPUBs, make edits and save back to the EPUB (properly).
And since it's an XML editor (and EPUBs are mostly XML), it's a really
nice tool for making global edits to the files.

EPUB can be really cool .. but the tools and readers are lacking in
proper support. Keep it simple and you'll have better results. Also tell
your end users which readers you "support" so they don't try using some
reader that will make the EPUB looks really bad.

Cheers,
...scott