[Framers] Switching from InDesign to FM 11

Peter Gold peter at petergold.photography
Fri Oct 26 09:07:06 PDT 2018

I'd tend to agree with John's suggestion, but would do a copy edit to
replace "him" with "him or her."

Long ago, I planned to write a course on moving from FM to ID, but, plans
change. However, I wrote an article comparing these tools:

https://indesignsecrets.com/better-framemaker-indesign.php

Search the web for "framemaker vs indesign" for other relevant
articles. IIRC, David Creamer of ideastraining.com posted an even-more
thorough comparison than mine.

>From a trainer's viewpoint, I'd want to know the kind of documents the
person had created in InDesign, and how they were created. If the writer
created the bulk of the authoring with something like Word, then imported,
placed, or pasted the content into ID, for layout and design, then it would
be helpful to know the writer's approach in Word. From a writer's
viewpoint, IMO, FM works more like Word than ID, so many Word work habits -
good ones, and bad ones - are transferable.
Was the original authoring done with or without attention to systematic use
of named styles or formats? Did they use named styles in ID, or ad-hoc?

HTH