[Framers] Frame 2019 Bug & Staus Update

Oran Petersen orandeep at comcast.net
Mon Sep 3 23:39:34 PDT 2018

Frame 2019 Bugs & Status
This is an update to my post of August 29. I have filed 4 bugs with Adobe on the new Frame. I have the TCS 2019 package.

Save-As PDF: (Adobe Frame Bug #5251) Hooked to the new Publish function, unless someone can find a setting or button to make it work as it did in earlier Frame versions. Not practical for those that just wish to pop out a quick PDF like we could do in earlier versions. It is even worse than I thought, because the Publish function creates a folder of the file name (without extension) AND creates a PDF folder inside that one. Two more layers. You also get the file name with a .pdf extension inside the PDF folder, with no opportunity to pick a name. This might be necessary to publish any number of the 7 outputs with one button push, but Publish and Save-As PDF need to be totally disconnected for most of our process flows. Right now most Frame print settings are ignored, and default to the Publisher settings. Frame warns you of this with an intercept dialog, but seemingly does not allow you to change it. There is a "Use Distiller" check box in the Publish settings, but it does not work. I now try to "Print" with Adobe PDF set as the default printer. This escapes the Publish crap, but you still have to choose the folder and make sure the Print to Postscript is unchecked. You can change the file name as well. Except, on several occasions the print bypassed the Save-As choice and went straight to PDF. You then figure out which folder. Seems to be the Windows focused folder at the time. Messing with the Print Settings in the Print window seems to re-focus it to bring back the Save-As. Weird. The distiller is not used for this operation. It is all inside Frame and Acrobat 2017. Even non-Adobe apps are done without the distiller.

Save-As PDF: (Adobe Frame Bug #5253) Frame Freeze! When the progress bar (new in 2019) hits 100% it just stops, forever, unless you use the task manager to kill Frame. I have found no other way to break out of this. Has now happened at least 5 times. It seems to work the 2nd time OK. Not sure of the trigger. Only seems to happen with Save-As PDF. No problem with this for the other print functions so far. No error message, no "Not Responding" indicator, no crash.

Frame Window sizing across dual monitors with different resolution: (Adobe Frame Bug #5252) Frame finally got this fixed in Frame 2017 and now it is broken again in Frame 2019. This is a real pain when you use two monitors with significantly different resolutions, which I do. I found that by making the lower res monitor the "Main Display" that the Frame window text, etc. is OK on the lower res unit, but goes tiny if you move the window to the high res monitor. This means you cannot put dialog boxes on the high res monitor because they are not legible with the small font. Dual monitor use is now not an option with my setup for Frame authoring.

"Go To Next" triangle (pointer) on the Frame window footer is inoperative/missing: (Adobe Frame Bug #5254). When on the First or Last page you see the small version of the triangle, but it does not work. When on other than First or Last, the triangle is simply gone. Page Down key is your alternative, or use the "Go To Page" dialog.

I am very close to remaining with Frame 2017 until this stuff gets fixed. The file management & processing for PDF is just too messy. And I need the displays to work as they did in the 2017 version as well.

If anyone has found fixes, workarounds or settings to help with this stuff, please let me know.

I have been a Frame user, and Frame expert in a large company, since the beginning, 1980’s until recent retirement. I should know better than to take on a new version out of the gate. I was a beta tester in earlier days, so I have seen all of the new version disasters and more.
Oran Petersen