[Framers] Save as PDF with Windows 10 and FM 2015

Frank Stearns franks at fsatools.com
Mon Sep 10 14:28:04 PDT 2018

Hi All -

Regarding the various "breakages" in Windows versions for a given
FM feature...

There is one solution that could be permanent or accessed "in case of
emergency": use an emulator. That is, run a virtual version of the
desired OS inside the OS version you're forced to use.

I've been using Oracle's "VirtualBox" emulator for several years now,
and there are other emulators out there as well. You can run just
about anything inside of anything. You can have a measure of
communication between the two environments. (I can copy and paste
between environments, for example, and also elect to access host
system hardware, such as USB and ethernet ports. You can also mount
host file systems from within the virtual machine.)

In my case I have some very old (but vital) custom business
applications that only run in XP or older -- but it all lives on a
Win7 machine.

Recoding those old database apps to run in a newer OS, along with
importing all that old data, would be prohibitively expensive. Running
the old apps in an emulator costs next to nothing and no old code need
be disturbed.

So, while I haven't checked, it's quite likely you could run a Win 7
emulation hosted by Win10 -- all while sidestepping the Win10
problems.

It's pretty slick. Install Virtualbox on the host machine; this
brings up a window that *is* a machine that will run the OS you really
want to use. Install the desired OS in the virtual machine and away
you go.

Frank Stearns

Frank Stearns Associates | makers of IXgen(tm) for FrameMaker(r)
*** IXGEN 7-10 for FrameMaker 10 & newer is HERE! ***
franks at fsatools.com  1-435-275-8981  fsatools.com