[Framers] Adobe PDF Printer versus my printer

tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com
Tue Apr 9 14:07:36 PDT 2019

Rick,

Can you have the AdobePDF printer set as the default printer when using FM?
The Sundorne SetPrint utility
(http://sundorne.com/FrameMaker/Freeware/setPrint.htm ) does this
automatically for you.

Here's what I know about this issue as I asked about this a long time ago
for the very same reasons (If I am understanding you correctly):

In order to get the best quality output from FrameMaker, you should first
create PDFs using Adobe PDF, then print the PDF. This results in better
images and a more trouble-free workflow.

However, you might want your other Windows print jobs to go to your normal
desktop or network printer. Unfortunately, when FrameMaker initializes, it
simply sets its printer to the Windows default printer. So if you want to
use a desktop printer for your other work, but use Adobe PDF for all your
FrameMaker documents, you have to manually change the printer every time you
start FrameMaker.

SetPrint changes that. It will automatically set your printer every time you
start FrameMaker, and you can also call it as a client from FrameScript or
FrameMaker plugins.

If I am way off base, then my bad. . .

Tammy Van Boening
Tammy dot vanboening at spectrumwritingllc dot com
www.spectrumwritingllc.com