[Framers] Adobe PDF Printer versus my printer

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Wed Apr 10 11:55:14 PDT 2019

Rick,

As far as I know, that warning message can't be turned off. It is
FrameMaker warning you that changing printer drivers may cause your
document to reformat. Most people think that changing the print driver
just changes where the document will print, but it does more than that.
The characteristics of the driver also determine how the document will
display on screen. Usually, this makes little difference, maybe not even
a noticeable difference. But, sometimes, as you have seen, it changes
the word- or line-breaks and can cause an extra line of text to appear
in a paragraph, bump the last line of a table to the next page, or force
a graphic to the next column or page. This can throw off the appearance
of pages, rippling all the way forward. And if you are preparing for a
press printed book, it can, for example, cause the need to print 17
pages, when the signature (the folded stack of pages that will be sewn
into a book) is only 16 pages.

This is why it became best practice to use SetPrint to automatically set
AdobePDF as the default printer for FM when it loads. What you then see
on screen will always be exactly what you see in the PDF and, then, the
PDF will always be exactly what you see on _any_ printer or on _any_
other computer screen. Then, of course, you would print the PDF, rather
than the .fm file, to your printer.

If you don't want to use SetPrint, you might see if your desktop printer
has an option to download fonts, instead of using internal fonts. This
is a little slower, because it means that the printer must retrieve the
fonts from your computer, rather than using whatever version of them it
has hardwired, but I _think_ it might help with the reformatting.

Mike