[Framers] FM2019 and ixgen?

Harding, Dan dharding at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 11 05:57:51 PDT 2019

Good morning all,

I have an email in to Frank Stearns (creator of ixgen) about this, but in the interim I want to get some other data points:

Has anyone been able to get ixgen to work with FrameMaker 2019?

When I run the ixgen installer, it does not see the installation of 64-bit FrameMaker, presumably because ixgen is a 32-bit application, so installing it under 64-bit FM is likely out.

When I run the installer and select 32-bit FrameMaker 2019, it installs successfully, however when I launch 32-bit Frame 2019, I get the following error in the FM console:

Cannot initialize API client C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2019 (32 Bit)\ixgen\bin\ixgen.dll.

Check for errors in the APIClients section of the maker.ini file in FrameMaker install location or your %appdata% folder, verify that the client program exists, and make sure you have enough swap space to run the client.

I checked the maker.ini file and didn't see anything untoward.

It may be that FM has changed enough "under the hood" that ixgen is no longer compatible... which puts a real crimp in my production workflow. I'd prefer not to go back to FM2017 at this point.

Thanks,

-Dan