[Framers] : How Install FrameMaker Update Patches on Old FM Versions?

Kevin Ryan kryan at harriscomputer.com
Wed Dec 18 11:00:19 PST 2019

Robert, thanks a major bunch for the suggestion to run the patch exe files in XP compatibility mode! That worked and I now have the patches I need on my new PC. I wanted the FM patches to be up to date because I am still trying to get mif2go to work on the new PC.

My management does not think kindly of PDFs books. It thinks a hierarchical set of interlinked topic pages is always the way to go.  It was all I could do to establish a routine of including attached PDFs (created from Confluence space export) to the front summary page of my online Confluence guides. Confluence's native PDF generator is good for interlinks and bookmarks, but tends to be pretty ugly and to do silly things like vanish random images, break pages wrong, and resize (screw up) PDF sub-heading font sizes automatically under the misapprehension that it knows what it's doing. Our long-term customers probably sensed the quality loss when we shifted from FM-generated to Confluence-generated PDFs. If our customers start complaining about PDF quality I might be able to justify the Scroll PDF Exporter option you describe (and thanks for the "separate instance" tip, which I'll keep in mind).

"How am I using MIf2Go to migrate  to Confluence":  A few years back I pored over posts to this list from Jeremy and you about this task, and I benefited from your suggestions then and from the beta version of Mif2go Jeremy produced that has Confluence-related flags in its INI file. I have a bare-bones function that Mif2go serves:  Take our image-laden, multi-character-font-infested FrameMaker files, strip their images, and map about a dozen different colors and fonts of FM character formats to Confluence's simpler/more minimalistic Bold/Not Bold character formatting. Also to map FM headings to an analogous hierarchy of HTML headings. I've had an INI file I made just for this "FM to Confluence" purpose and it's gratifying for me just to be able to paste the Mif2Go html output into the "<>" Source Editor of individual Confluence pages within my online guides.  Then I update the content in Confluence to our current product and add fresh images.

And thanks, Ragnar.  It's good to know the 7.2 version is stable in Windows 10.

Thanks again everyone for your help here!

Kevin

Harriscomputer

Kevin Ryan
Technical Writer, Research & Development
P: 802-865-1170x82412
E: kryan at harriscomputer.com

[cid:systems-and-software-logo_fb337cde-842d-4df4-a70d-ba6845848677.png]

10 E Allen Street
Suite 201
Winooski, VT 05404
www.ssivt.com<http://www.ssivt.com>

This message has been sent on behalf of a company that is part of the Harris Operating Group of Constellation Software Inc.
If you prefer not to be contacted by Harris Operating Group please notify us<http://subscribe.harriscomputer.com/>.

This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This communication may contain information that is proprietary, privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete all copies of the message.