[Framers] OT: Punctuation question

Stephen Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 12:20:02 PST 2019

John and Tom, yes. Simplest is best, and the three options you list are all massively and unnecessarily verbose. Were I editing it I would deprecate all of them and the punctuation.

Who is the target audience? Do they have US or UK English as their first language? From what ethnic culture? These are all relevant questions: for example, a natural order of left to right cannot always be assumed.

To be really pedantic, the following in unnecessary in your options:

- 'The information' (huh?)

- 'five tabs' (not needed because you list them_

- 'left to right' (see above)

- 'the following' (implied by the colon)

- 'and' (whatever)

Removing these, it leaves us with: 'It/This is displayed across the tabs Overview, Category, Locus, Sequence, Details'.

If you must have the 'and' I would removed the Oxford comma as I hate them, but this is a matter of local style.

Simplest is almost always best.

--
Steve [grouchy old pedant]