[Framers] Exporting graphic elements to CGM file (structured XML)

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Thu Jul 25 13:14:12 PDT 2019

Glad to hear that you solved the low resolution problem. I would like to
make a couple of suggestions on your Writer Facet r/w rules:

1. The Notation rules do not specify the format of the graphics within
FM nor do they specify the desired output format; they specify the name
of the notation that appears in the entity declarations at the beginning
of the exported XML. These entity declarations will be something like:

      <!ENTITY graphic/n/ SYSTEM "test-/m/.CGM" NDATA "/not/">

where /n/ and /m/ are numbers and /not/ is a notation name that must be
declared in the DTD. Since your r/w rules specify exporting both PDF and
TIFF files as CGM, the notation should probably be something likke "CGM"
or "cgm" to indicate what you will be providing with the XML file and
not PDF or TIFF to indicate what you used in FrameMaker. You might try
leaving out the Notation rule and see whether the default is acceptable.

2. You have r/w rules for PDF and TIFF facets. If you use other formats
now or might in the future and want to convert whatever comes up to CGM,
you can use one rule for every facet type that doesn't have a rule of
its own:

     writer facet default {
         convert referenced graphics;
         export to file "test-.CGM" as "CGM";
         }

adding a Notation rule if necessary. This single writer rule will
replace the two you have now as well as supporting addition graphic formats.

     --Lynne

--
Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.