[Framers] Help Wanted -- FrameMaker Project

Ken Poshedly poshedly at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 2 11:38:03 PDT 2019

To all,

After 18 years of serving as editor and publisher of a quarterly astronomy journal as a hobby ("pro bono"), I've decided to pass it on to others within the parent organization to produce. The organization consists of just under 400 professional and serious other astronomers worldwide who are involved with Earth-based solar system observations. Astronomy has been my biggest outside interest since I was a youngster in the early 1960s. But now I wish to enjoy the hobby more by getting out with my own scopes and other paraphernalia to enjoy the night skies with others. Plus, I'm pushing age 70 in a few months.

In my position, I received and proofread the science papers after they were already peer-reviewed for correctness by subject matter experts, then used FrameMaker to perform the usual electronic layout and produce the journal itself as two different pdf files (one for placement on the organization's ftp site for downloading by the membership and another -- much larger -- pdf file for transmittal to an outside firm that prints and distributes the hard copy version).

While I have secured another member of the organization to serve as editor, there is no one within the organization to do the production (that is, FrameMaker) side of things. Thus, I'm asking here if any of you would consider this position.

First, knowledge about astronomy is NOT required. Second, we are prepared to pay a reasonable fee.

As stated above, the journal is released quarterly, with the first issue under the new personnel not due until December of this year.

Please contact me directly off-list so as not to clutter up things here. I will be glad to go into whatever excruciating detail interested persons want at that time and will be glad to direct them to the online location where the entire library of these journals can be found for their reference.
In case my email address doesn't show up correctly in the header of this email, I'm at poshedly at bellsouth.net

-- Ken in Atlanta