[Framers] FM2019: Stopping the Save As PDF Process

ORAN PETERSEN orandeep at comcast.net
Wed Jun 5 15:08:01 PDT 2019

Hi Yves
I have the same issue. The Save As PDF freezes at the very end, does not save
the file and "locks up" Frame. Nothing seems to allow you to escape without
doing a force quit of Frame with the task manager. This happened frequently to
me when Frame 2019 first came out, after the first update. Often, just repeating
the Save As again would work. The problem went away for a while, but recently
came back big time. I have experienced about 20 of these freezes in the last
three weeks or so, and sometimes I need to repeat three times to get a save.
Very annoying! I put in a Frame bug #5253 on this issue, but since it is so
random and non-repeatable I think Adobe has given up trying to find and fix it.
I am gratified that someone else has this issue and not just me. Maybe there are
more out there and we can raise the flag higher to get it fixed. This happens
very often on the first try to create a PDF for a given new Frame file. On the 2nd try it creates an empty PDF file. I create the PDF folder and point to it for the Save As. I then have a chance to get a good PDF most of the time. Wow.
I also have a 2nd big issue with Save As. When I Save As a PDF to the same
folder as the Frame file, it "completes" and makes a PDF, with a message that it
was successful, but the PDF is empty and flagged as corrupted when you try to
open it. My workaround on this is to create a PDF folder inside the main folder
and do the Save As to that folder. Save As then creates a valid PDF in the PDF
folder, and strangely enough, often duplicates the PDF in the main folder as
well. Weird. This is also a pain. In some cases I have had to resort to a "Print
to PDF" to get a satisfactory output, which has its own issues.
And I agree with you that the Publish Pod is a super pain for making PDFs with Frame
2019. It would be very nice if Adobe reverted the Save As PDF to work using only
Frame Menu "PDF Setup" controls and the PDF setup functions from the print
dialog.
Oran