[Framers] Framers Digest, Vol 159, Issue 11

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 20 12:22:48 PDT 2019

The advice from Robert that unwanted formats can also lurk on Reference pages is also true. Delete any reference pages that are not used and search for unwanted formats in the ones you retain.

His advice about the book file is also true. Save the book as MIF and search for the offending format, then delete the appropriate code segment(s) from the MIF text, and resave back to a standard book file.  If an unwanted format shows up again on a regenerate, that format is hiding somewhere in the files.

Cleaning the reference and master pages (by making the 'hidden' master page in a single sided document blank) can be done on one file and imported across all files in the book that use the same reference and master page(s). However, additional 'extra' reference and master pages added to a particular file will remain in existence. To get rid of these (assuming they are not needed), one can cut the text from a file and paste it into a pristine template chapter file of the type being used in the document. Applying all formats would seem like a good idea after doing that.

Really well made templates have all the required stuff in the original template (and leave out the undesirable stuff like a 'hidden' Left master page that is not blank in the case of a single sided document) , so you can use the original 'raw' template from which the book was constructed to cut and paste into, knowing that it has only what you want.

This assumes everyone has a repository of templates used by the various types of book produced. I certainly advocate that.

Craig