[Framers] [WTF ramemaker] Best Practices for HTML Online help

Chris Despopoulos despopoulos_chriss at yahoo.com
Wed May 15 02:32:48 PDT 2019

 So is this a SaaS product, or do you deliver a server as the product, and that server uses HTML as the GUI?
Another question... Desktop, Tablet, Phone?  All three?  If you support a finger device, then you can't use hovering to display tool tips -- you have to offer an icon to tap.
HTML GUIs make walk-throughs easier to develop.  We use bootstrap tours.  We also single-source our content, where certain tasks can get squeezed into these tours.  Our source is DITA, and we convert the task to JSON that works in the bootstrap tour.  We do our transforms on the fly (we ship raw DITA with the product), but that's just us...  You could as easily transform to JSON as part of the build.

What about text actually drawn on the GUI itself?  Do you provide that content, or is that a specific code asset?  Labels and tooltips are often managed in a local-specific json file.  If you want rich text in the GUI you need a different way to manage that.  But once you have that, you could include links that open up the online help for more information -- that would be a good way to indicate and link to the help.  Otherwise, you need a special icon, and it has to be different than the tooltip icon.
For context links to help (or any other asset), indeed a mapping table is the way to go.  You need to own that table as a doc asset so you can freely change the targets of the given IDs.  A change should not require a rebuild of the product.  OTOH, the devs need to indicate when they add a new ID to the product so you can add it to the table and set up the link.  I'm not a fan of generated mapping IDs...  A table can get pretty big, and you had better come up with a naming convention that makes it easy to sort through all the entries.  Generated IDs probably won't suit that need.

As I said above, we transform DITA to the online help and other formats on the fly.  We include a service in the GUI app itself to do that.  And then the online help is just another app that uses the same service.  So we own the code that makes it all happen.  That's probably out of scope for your concerns, but it's how we do things.

Hope this helps...         cud