[Framers] Create a separate ToC for each text flow?

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Fri May 17 10:14:13 PDT 2019

Could you use two different paragraph tags for each heading level, one for
Dutch and one for French? Perhaps distinguished by -D and -Fr. Then you
could generate separate TOCs easily enough from the same file, but off the
top of my head I can't figure out how to combine the two different TOCs
into the same generated file.

Oh! Could you create a second file that has two separate text frames as
parallel columns, then use insets to have the French TOC in one column and
the Dutch in the other? Then all you'd have to do is exclude the generated
files from the doc when creating your output ...

(NB: I have not tested this. No idea if it would work. But it sounds
possible.)

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 8:14 AM Yves Barbion <yves.barbion at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Framers
>
> I've got this nice challenge:
>
> I've got a big FrameMaker book in which each chapter has 2 separate text
> flows: one for Dutch text and one for French. The Dutch and French text
> appears side by side on each page.
>
> I want to create a table of contents which has the same: a Dutch text flow
> on the left and a French text flow on the right.
>
> I don't see a "standard" way of doing this in Fm. When I generate a ToC, I
> get the Dutch and French text mixed together in a single flow:
>
> Dutch heading.... page 1
> French heading.... page 1
> Dutch heading.... page 2
> French heading.... page 2
>
> etc.
>
> My current workaround is kinda complicated:
>
>    1. Create 3 versions of the book, one bilingual (master) version, a
>    French version and a Dutch version.
>    2. Remove all French text from the Dutch book and vice versa.
>    3. Generate a ToC in the French version.
>    4. Generate a ToC in the Dutch version.
>    5. In the bilingual version, import the Dutch ToC in the Dutch text flow
>    of the "fake ToC" and import the French ToC in the French text flow.
>
> It works, but it's too complicated and will take too much time when updates
> occur.
>
> Any better ideas? Can an ExtendScript do this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Yves Barbion
> www.flowtime.be

Lin Sims