[Framers] Problem with Creating Tables with different TableTitles in FM via MIF file.

Rick Quatro rick at rickquatro.com
Thu Apr 30 12:56:27 PDT 2020

Is this what you have for the title?

  <TblTitle
   <TblTitleContent
    <Notes
    > # end of Notes
    <Para
     <Unique 998402>
     <PgfTag `TableTitle'>
     <PgfNumString `Table 1: '>
     <ParaLine
      <String `This is a test'>
     > # end of ParaLine
    > # end of Para
   > # end of TblTitleContent
  > # end of TblTitle

-----Original Message-----
From: Framers <framers-bounces+rick=rickquatro.com at lists.frameusers.com> On
Behalf Of Orly Zimmerman
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2020 3:31 PM
To: framers at lists.frameusers.com; framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: [Framers] Problem with Creating Tables with different TableTitles
in FM via MIF file.

HI All,
I'm trying to create a simple MIF file that contains tables and can be read
via FM.
I need this structure for my engineers, so that they can export data in a
pre-defined table format.

So I have the structure of the table (basically copied the structure given
by one of FM's Sample MIF files (included with the FM installation)).
In any case. Then I actually read the MIF manual and was able to create the
table and a short body page by creating 2 MIF files.
 - One MIF file is used as the template file with all my
paras/chars/tables/variables/master pages/ etc defined. (It's very long)
 - The other MIF file includes for now, one table (it will include all the
tables in the Tbls) and the Text Flow. The table is built basically from a
table header and body rows. It has an "include ( template.mif) to call the
template file (so that this MIF file is "only" about 300 lines long and easy
for my developer to follows its syntax so that s/he can auto generate tables
from their database into FM - and the developer doesn't have to deal with
unnecessary defs). This will be used to create all the "<Tbl " s in the
<Tbls"
Now, because the table format is defined in the template, it pulls all the
table format definition from the template file. Including its **table
title**. And herein is my problem.

The MIF file opens nicely in FM with everything except the TableTitle being
populated (i.e. the table has a table title, e.g. "Table1: " but this
remains blank despite my desperate attempts to populate it.
I even tried populating it manually  - i.e. I opened the MIF file in FM.
Populated Table1: with an example name,  and then saved the MIF file -
unfortunately, this introduced the entire template again into my MIF file.
So I tried using the info and copying it into the original 300-line MIF.
Nothing doing - it doesn't work.

I also read in the MIF manual that if you create (generate) a table this
way, you can call the table format (using <TblTag 'TableNameFromCatalog'>)
and then define exceptions to the Table Format by giving the statement name
for the specific property and then redefining it.  i.e. create a local
definition (instantiation) based on the Table catalog definition. (The MIF
manual gives an example of redefining the number of columns and then
adjusting their width - there is nothing about the table title property).
For some reason this does not work with the TableTitle. Any ideas why not?

Thanks so much,
Orly Zimmerman
Xsight Labs