[Framers] FrameMaker 12 and Parallels on a Mac (running Windows 10)

Syed Zaeem Hosain Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Sun Aug 30 00:12:37 PDT 2020

Hi, all.

I am moving to another laptop - a Macbook Pro (older generation - not the last two hardware versions) that has a retina display and is much faster than this 2-core Lenovo I am migrating from.

This is a quad-core Intel I-7 and quite faster than the Lenovo, even though it is old. My son's old laptop, recently fully refurbished by Apple - new *everything* in it for very little cost, and in beautiful condition!

Since it is a Macbook, I am running Parallels (version 16) with a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, to get access to my Windows applications.

The Windows applications have been running fine for a while, so today, I moved FrameMaker 12 to it (was reminded by the recent discussion on licenses)!

The installation went smoothly - no licensing hiccups luckil, and I have installed all four updates too. So, it is now at 12.0.4 ...

I selected large, color icons to start. However, when I start FM, I get a tiny, almost impossible to read, menu bar, and the icons do not show at all. I have tried changing to grayscale (carefully picking the menu item!) and small icons without success. The pop-up menus are a bit small too, but usable.

The Mac, of course, has a 2800 x 1800 retina resolution, but Parallels runs Windows 10 with a font mag of 300% and all other Windows applications seem to run fine.

Is there anybody else running FM under Parallels without these problems? Is there some setting (perhaps in the INI file for FM12) that could correct for this?

Thanks!