[Framers] In FM 2019, the "Update Book" function "dies" in the middle of a long book

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 04:50:50 PST 2020

My go-to is performing a MIF wash of the book. Adobe actually has a DLL for
that which, for some reason, it doesn't include as part of the basic
installation (see
https://helpx.adobe.com/framemaker/kb/how-to-use-mifwash-utility-in-framemaker.html)
.

If that doesn't work, I start working my way through halves of the book.
That is, I try to PDF the last half of the book. If that works, I know the
problem is in the first half. Then I PDF half of the remaining files. If
that works, I move on to half of the remaining files, and so on, until I
isolate which file is causing the issue. Repeat the process on the pages of
the file itself.

Most often, an issue like this is caused by a corrupted graphics file.
Isolate it and then try to figure out what went wrong with it, which can
mean recreating it.

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 5:33 AM <Barry.Meislin at nuvoton.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a particularly long book (about 30 files, 1200 pages total,
> non-structured FM) that "dies" in the middle (towards the first third,
> actually) of the update (book generation).
>
> I update other books successfully---all the time. It's just this one book
> that has been causing me tremendous, frustrating problems.
>
> Actually, I succeed on the first attempt (typically); but can't get it to
> work after that and this prevents me from being able to work on it.
>
> Any ideas why this is happening and what I can do to "fix" it?
>
> Thanks much in advance,
> Barry Meislin
>

> ===========================================================================================
> The privileged confidential information contained in this email is
> intended for use only by the addressees as indicated by the original sender
> of this email. If you are not the addressee indicated in this email or are
> not responsible for delivery of the email to such a person, please kindly
> reply to the sender indicating this fact and delete all copies of it from
> your computer and network server immediately. Your cooperation is highly
> appreciated. It is advised that any unauthorized use of confidential
> information of Nuvoton is strictly prohibited; and any information in this
> email irrelevant to the official business of Nuvoton shall be deemed as
> neither given nor endorsed by Nuvoton.

Lin Sims