[Framers] Tables question

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Mon Jan 27 06:28:10 PST 2020

On 1/27/2020 5:25 AM, Doug wrote:
> Is there a way to define a Table style that uses alternating color body row
> shading?  I want a table where the rows alternate between green and white.
> The Table Designer Shading tab seems to want to make all the rows the same
> color.
Doug,
    To add to Rick's reply, FM does support the shading you want. The
Shading tab of the Table designer allows you to set up two-color
patterns for either body rows or columns, but not both. Since you are
interested in row shading, in the rest of this message, I will describe
row shading; column shading is analogous.
     FM divides the rows in the table into consecutive blocks. Each
block contains the sum of the number of rows you specify as First and
the number of rows you specify as Next. Depending on the number of rows,
the table may end with a partial block. In your case, you should specify
1 for both First and Next so that each block has 2 rows.  Then specify
Green as the color for First rows. It doesn't matter what color is
specified for Next rows as long as the Fill is set to None. Note that
the field labels may seem a bit confusing since "First" does not refer
only to the first rows in the table, but to the first rows in each block
and "Next" refers to the remaining rows in each block. You could define
more complicated problems such as 2 White rows followed by 6 Blue rows.
      For more complicated patterns, such as those using three or more
colors, you will have to use Table > Custom Ruling & Shading.
      You can also specify a color for header and footer rows, but all
rows in both header and footer will have the same color.
     --Lynne

--
Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.