[Framers] FM on Next - question from a nostalgic person

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 15 17:01:09 PDT 2020

Actually, the original NeXT computer was designed before CD-ROM was standardized. The so-called Yellow Book that contained the CD-ROM standards was published in 1988, the same year that the NeXT was introduced. Instead, the original NeXT computer came with a magneto-optical disc drive that used removable disc cartridges as both the primary storage and the external media device while a magnetic hard drive was an option.

In 1990, the second generation NeXT -- the one that was officially named the NeXTcube -- dropped the MO drive in favor of a conventional hard disc as the primary storage. A 3.5" HD floppy drive was available as an option and every cube I saw was fitted with one. The NeXTstation (the pizza box) came with a 3.5" floppy standard.

-FR