[Framers] Best way to import/add select paragraph formats?

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 26 07:48:54 PDT 2020

I use a clean template approach for doing such imports, making sure there is no chance that I am importing something else even if I select the wrong options.

Note: A truly 'clean' template would removed all formatting definitions in the template and not just char, para, table, master page and reference page definitions (i.e. Colors, Doc Properties, X-Ref definitions,  etc.). Having such a template archived for use under these circumstances is something every FrameMaker template designer should do. I would bet Rick has one stashed away somewhere. It's amazing to me that Adobe doesn't provide a template barren of formats to use for this purpose.

1 - Create a 'clean' template for this purpose. That means, delete all char and para formats. Delete all text boxes from the master pages. If using a single sided document, make sure to set it to double-sided temporarily so you can delete the text boxes on the Left master page. Delete all Reference pages. Delete all table formats since table formats contain default para formats as part of the table definition. A Create and Apply Formats should only result in the creation of the Body tag which will exist in the text box override on the Body page. If others appear you will have to seek them out and remove them. Delete the Body paratag from the catalog again.

2 - Create the char and para formats you want to import, designed as you want. To create them you need a paragraph on the Body page. Use that Body paragraph (which should now appear as an override) as the place to start creating your new tags. Only the new paratags and chartags should exist on the body page. Another Create and Apply formats should not create any extraneous paratags or chartags.

3 - Import just your new char and para formats across your files or books from the clean template file you created, selecting Paragraph Formats and Character Formats only. You can also check the While Updating Remove: Other Format/Layout Overrides if you want the new definitions to correct overrides of the your new Para and Char formats that might exist in the target files.

Craig