[Framers] Best way to import/add select paragraph formats?

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 10:33:31 PDT 2020

I often use MIF snippets.

   1. Save the file with the formats you want in it as a MIF.
   2. Open the file in a text editor.
   3. Delete everything except the definitions for the tags you want.
   4. Save the file (make sure the extension stays MIF).
   5. In FM, open the MIF file and the file you want those specific formats
   in.
   6. Import paragraph (or character, or whatever) formats from the MIF
   file to the FM file.

Alternatively, you can create a new, clean file, import the tags from the
file that has the formats you want into it, and then just go through each
catalog and delete the formats you DON'T want from it. Save, then open the
file you need those new formats in and import from the clean file.

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 5:44 PM Jason Nichols <jason at mkjn.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> More and more, the tech writing team I'm on needs to important just
> specific Character Formats and Paragraph Formats into a file or set of
> files.
>
> Searching through the archives, I found the method below suggested by
> Fred Ritter.
> <https://www.mail-archive.com/framers@lists.frameusers.com/msg55885.html>
> Is this still the best way to accomplish this goal, or does anyone know
> of a better method or tool that's been discovered or developed in the
> meantime?
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>
> Fred Ridder's technique:
>
> 1) Copy any paragraph of the desired format from the source file.
> 2) Paste it into the target file.
> 3) Use the Paragraph Designer to add the paragraph format to the current
> file's catalog.
> 4) Delete the pasted paragraph.
>

> Stay well,
>
> --