[Framers] Appearance of graphics in the generated PDF

tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com
Fri Aug 6 10:52:38 PDT 2021

To address a lot of questions in one email: None of these are stupid questions, and I don't take any as such. I have to be cognizant of what my SME prefers and is comfortable with to maintain and edit the equations, but I need to use Framemaker because the manual is a massive technical manual that details all the scientific principles behind the equations and it is riddled with other graphics, x-references, etc and I need to share the equations with yet another manual. . . so that make FM the go to tool for final production. Yes, it's a bit of a sticky mess, but it's what I have to work with and I can push only so much. If my SME uses an open source editor such as MathType, it appears that I can save each equation as a GIF at 150 dpi. . . might be good enough, I am not sure but anyway, each equation would have to be its own file to accomplish this and that would add extra overhead for my SME. When you save the Word document to htm/html, then Windoze assumes (and rightfully so) that you're using the content for the Web, so the equations are saved out as PNGs at 96 dpi, which is fine for the web, but not for print, and upsampling obviously is not possible. So, even though I am importing each PNG, and then printing the book to .ps which I send to a watched folder, and then distilling in Distiller w/ custom job options, it doesn't make a difference. The PNGs are at 96 dpi and that's all I got to work with. I tried to save the Word docx as an .rtf as per Lin (because in Avdvanced Settings, you can specify the image resolution that you want for images in the Save As function), but the equations are not being saved as PNGs in this case as Lin indicated. . . I am sure that it's a version-dependent function and my version is Word 2016. I also tried the change the name to .zip and extract, but the equations are NOT being recognized as media objects w/ this approach so no media folder exists w/ the equations as PNGs. Why they are being recognized as such for htm/html conversion but not this way, I have no idea. For now, I have a workaround . . . I have saved the Word file to a PDF, and I then crop each equation out and save as a PDF and then I will import the equation as PDF. At least that way they are vector images and not rasterized, and zooming in and out in a PDF doesn't affect them. . .crisp and clean no matter the zoom level. But, I am open to any other thoughts besides calling it good for Friday and drowning myself in a pitcher of margaritas . . hey, it's 11:30 somewhere. TVB Tammy Van Boening Tammy dot vanboening at spectrumwritingllc dot com www.spectrumwritingllc.com -----Original Message----- From: Framers On Behalf Of Peter Gold Sent: Friday, August 6, 2021 11:38 AM To: An email list for people using Adobe FrameMaker software. Subject: Re: [Framers] Appearance of graphics in the generated PDF Are there any options you or the SME author can set, which would affect the equation editor's HTML output? If so, are there any meaningful improvements? Any roads not yet taken? On Fri, Aug 6, 2021, 12:04 PM Fred Ridder wrote: > I suspect the answer is that whoever is creating the equations does > not have (and does not want to have to pay for and learn how to use) a > FrameMaker license. > > But a perhaps less stupid question is whether it's possible and > practical to use a free-standing equation editor (e.g., MathType, > MathMagic) or a tool that is based on LaTeX (e.g. LyX)? The LaTeX > approach is kind of PITA because even the best tools are only WYSIWYM > (what you see is what you mean​), but most professinals consider the > end result to be the best quality available. > > -FR > > ________________________________ > From: Framers > > on behalf of Lin Sims > Sent: Friday, August 6, 2021 8:06 AM > To: An email list for people using Adobe FrameMaker software. < > framers at lists.frameusers.com> > Subject: Re: [Framers] Appearance of graphics in the generated PDF > > Probably a stupid question, but is there a reason you're creating the > equations in Word rather than in Frame's Equation Editor? > > On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 6:32 PM wrote: > > > I have an equation-laden document that I am writing. The equations > > are being created in a Word doc (.docx) using Word's native equation > > editor. The .docx file is then saved as an .htm/.html file and all > > the equations in the document are automatically saved as .pngs in a > > separate folder named as image.(n), where n is the image number. I > > double-click an equation in > this > > folder to automatically open the equation in my image editor (SnagIT > > - I don't need anything as heavy as Photoshop as I am not doing any > > modifications to the equations) and save the equation without any > > changes to it whatsoever with a new name. I then import the image > > into Framemaker by > > reference. I don't mess w/ the dpi of the image when I select it for > > import - any image in the folder that was created during the saving > > of > the > > Word file shows a dpi of 96 in the Imported Graphic Scaling dialog > > box > when > > I select it for import and although this seems nutty to me (because > > none > of > > the images are over-sized). . . they look clear and crisp in the > > source > FM > > file (The Advanced Properties of any image in SnagIT is also showing > > a resolution of 96 dpi); however, upon generation of the PDF, it > > goes to h*ll in a handbasket. The equation looks almost as if the > > font is almost bold and therefore much darker than the text in the > > FM source file, and it's not nearly as crisp and clear as in the > > source FM document - it actually > looks > > blurry/pixelated. > > _______________________________________________ > > This message is from the Framers mailing list > > Send messages to framers at lists.frameusers.com Visit the list's > homepage at http://www.frameusers.com Archives located at > http://www.mail-archive.com/framers%40lists.frameusers.com/ > Subscribe and unsubscribe at > http://lists.frameusers.com/listinfo.cgi/framers-frameusers.com > Send administrative questions to listadmin at frameusers.com _______________________________________________ This message is from the Framers mailing list Send messages to framers at lists.frameusers.com Visit the list's homepage at http://www.frameusers.com Archives located at http://www.mail-archive.com/framers%40lists.frameusers.com/ Subscribe and unsubscribe at http://lists.frameusers.com/listinfo.cgi/framers-frameusers.com Send administrative questions to listadmin at frameusers.com Scanned by McAfee and confirmed virus-free. Find out more here: https://bit.ly/2zCJMrO