[Framers] Is this your final answer to equations?

tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com
Mon Aug 9 09:40:54 PDT 2021

So,

Remember that game show "The weakest link?" Well, that's what keeps going
through my head as I ask myself "Is this your final answer?"

First, I truly and sincerely appreciate everyone's input and advice to this
issue. It helped to me to feel not so alone in my quest. Second, I will
summarize at a very high level the results of investigating all that I
investigated and what I ultimately had to do.

1.	For Export to PDF - There are no special settings that I could find
anywhere that would help me get the equations recognized as images when
exporting to PDF. The equations remained recognized as text.
2.	For Export to PDF/XPS - There was a single setting that I could try
(Optimize for Image Quality), but again, the equations were not being
recognized as images. Only text.
3.	For Save As HTM/HTML - I tried Lin's recommendations (Save >
Advanced, and Web Options) at a size of Cambria Math 14 point, many
subscripts, especially those with a descender such as a "j" were still being
cut off. A "j" actually looked like an "i," for example.
4.	For Save as HTM/HTML - I incorporated Lin's recommendations along
with Sue's to increase the font size (this was also found as a work-around
when googling this issue until my fingers bled) and voila, it helped with
the cutting off of the descenders in a subscript, but introduced another
issue. Although in the Word document an equation remained on a single line
at the increased font size, when extracted as PNGs, these equations were now
turned into multi-line equations at arbitrary points so the equation was not
pleasing or easy to read or consistent in layout. Operators were left
randomly on their own lines, some lines had only two equation variables,
others had three, etc.

I have just punted at this point. I have worked off-book way too many hours
to try and resolve this issue further. I am going w/ the PDF solution of
saving the Word file to a PDF, and then cropping each equation to the size
that I need and importing the PDF into the FM document. As vector images,
scaling the PDF to view is not an issue and I can now at least save the
equations to a single folder with each equation image having a unique name
and I can import each equation into the multiple documents as I need. If I
need to make a change to an equation, I can make a change in the original
Word doc., save as a PDF with the appropriate name and voila, all the
documents that have this equation imported will be updated en masse and the
information won't get out of sync across multiple documents.  The only thing
that I will simplify going forward is to have each equation in its on Word
file so that I can deal w/ one PDF at a time and not have to take an extra
step to crop each equation individually out of the PDF file.

Again, I sincerely and truly appreciate all the effort, thoughts, and advice
that was supplied. This list just rocks w/ incredibly talented and
knowledgeable folks that always go the extra mile. I hope to be able to pay
it forward someday.

Happy Monday

TVB

Tammy Van Boening

Tammy dot vanboening at spectrumwritingllc dot com

www.spectrumwritingllc.com

  _____

<https://home.mcafee.com/utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-e
mail&utm_content=emailclient?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=s
ig-email&utm_content=emailclient> 	Scanned by McAfee
<https://home.mcafee.com/utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-e
mail&utm_content=emailclient?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=s
ig-email&utm_content=emailclient>  and confirmed virus-free.