[Framers] FM 10 on a new computer.

Shmuel Wolfson shmuelw1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 00:46:13 PDT 2021

   You said: If you need only a page layout program, don't buy FrameMaker,
   either.
   What would you suggest if you only need a page layout program,
   Affinity?

   On 12-Aug-21 10:47 PM, Robert Lauriston wrote:

If you don't need a help authoring tool, don't buy Flare. Flare's
expensive because it takes a lot of development to keep up with
customers' evolving requirements.

If you need only a page layout program, don't buy FrameMaker, either.
Its relatively high cost reflects its additional features such as
multichannel publishing, DITA, and the FDK.

The document I round-tripped from FrameMaker to Flare and back wasn't
particularly simple, it was just consistently formatted.

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 5:59 PM Peter Gold [1]<peter at petergold.photography> wrot
e:

Such a simple and clean source doc-set in Word might be as trouble-free.

Flare prices remind me of FM-UNIX prices of the 1990s.

Affinity offers ten-day free trials.

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 7:42 PM Robert Lauriston [2]<robert at lauriston.com>