[Framers] Adobe Acrobat Pro XI Distiller issue

tammyvb spectrumwritingllc.com tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com
Fri Dec 10 08:14:48 PST 2021

Hi Caroline, Rick, and Reng,

I figured that it would be easier to answer everyone in one fell swoop.

First, thank you everyone for all the responses. This list is always so awesome!

Ok, first, nope . . . Nothing in terms of graphics has changed in the book. More text was added with basic formatting such as Body and Heading levels, but that’s it.

Second, thank you for walking me through the ins and outs of setting job options through the Publishing pod. I have not produced PDFs this way before and was too frazzled to think it through last night.

Third, in a desperate attempt to get myself up and running, I removed the headless Distiller from my apps, closed any open PDFs (even though none of them should have impacted the PDF I was trying to generate -they were in different out folders, etc), ran a repair on Acrobat and relaunched Distiller and tried again. . . And voila - the PDF was generated just as expected!  So, what got hosed in Acrobat between Wednesday and Thursday, I have absolutely no ideas. I didn’t take any Windows updates, and obviously based on their ages, no updates to FM or Acrobat either.

And just for grins and giggles, I tried one more thing as well. I opened all the other PDFs that were opened previously at the same time that this problem first started and I could get the problem to repeat. I started closing down some PDFs and after a magic number we’re closed, then and only then, can I get my book to distill completely. Evidently, there’s something about a magic number of PDFs that are open when you were distilling a book that keeps distiller from working even though these PDFs are in different out folders, they are not created from any of the same source and so on. Yes, its empirical and no, it doesn’t make any sense, but it was definitely repeatable!

So for now I’m just going with what I have and making sure that I don’t have any other PDFs open when I am trying to generate a new PDF. And if for some reason that doesn’t work, then at least now I understand how to use the publishing pod, and Rick, I will still send you the log file.

Again, thank you everyone for all your responses. This list is a true community!

It was late last night my time when this problem occurred and I was so frazzled, I just wasn’t thinking straight! And based on how late my night was yesterday, I took a little time off this morning and slept in and I’m just now checking emails, so I apologize for my late response.

TGIF!!

TVB

Sent from my iPhone. Blame Steve Jobs for any typos.