[Framers] Equations and font sizes of different components in Framemaker 2019

tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com
Wed Jun 23 14:36:57 PDT 2021

And yes, I know the "solution" would be to do all variables that require a
subscript or superscript as an equation, but the budget and timing of this
simply won't allow for it - there are literally THOUSANDS of variables that
I have had to define and taking the time to make an equation out of one that
can be so easily entered via free-handed text is not a economically viable
solution as a result. Thank you! TVB Tammy Van Boening Tammy dot vanboening
at spectrumwritingllc dot com www.spectrumwritingllc.com -----Original
Message----- From: Framers On Behalf Of tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com Sent:
Wednesday, June 23, 2021 3:30 PM To: framers at lists.frameusers.com Subject:
[Framers] Equations and font sizes of different components in Framemaker
2019 OK, If anyone has used the Equations pod and can provide insight in how
to solve this problem, I would be forever grateful. Here's the story: I have
a very equation dense manual that I am producing in Framemaker 2019 for all
the text, imported graphics, etc. I have a sub-contractor who is working in
an equation editor to define and develop all the necessary equations. These
equations are organized in a Word document. I take a screen capture of the
full equation and import it into an anchored frame in my document. I am
doing it this way because each equation must be used in two separate manuals
(the manual that I am currently writing and a manual that consists of only
the equations - nothing more). As a result, after I take a screen capture
and store the capture in a central location, I can import the equation into
each document. If the equation must be edited/updated, then the equation is
updated in the Word document, I retake the screen capture w/ the same name
and save it to the original location to simultaneously update the two docs.
This part has worked flawlessly. What I MUST do in the manual that I am
currently writing is tabulate each equation variable in a two column table.
The left column is the variable, and the right column is the variable
definition. For the left column of the table, I have a paragraph tag defined
as TableEquationVariable, and this tag is set to Times New Roman, 12 point,
Italic. I also have two character tags with everything set to As-is -
Superscript and Subscript - and as the name implies the ONLY property that I
have set for these tags is Superscript or Subscript. For variables that
require a single superscript or subscript, this works just fine, for
example, Clumen,t. However, the one thing that I have noticed is that after
applying either of these tags, the subscript or superscript visually appear
smaller in font size but I have confirmed that they are indeed 12pt in size.
I guess it's just the way that FM applies this scripting property falsely
makes the font appear smaller than it is. The rub is that the vast majority
of these variables contain both subscripts and superscripts. For example,
Cj,lumen,t would be a C with a "j" subscript and perfectly aligned
underneath the "j" would be the "lumen, t" subscript. For such a variable, I
insert a new Medium Equation, and w/ the ? mark selected, I enter a capital
C. Under symbols, I then Start String, enter a "j" and then End String. I
then position the selected string of "j" as needed for a superscript. I then
place the cursor after the "j", and then Start String, enter "lumen, t" and
then End String. I then position the selected string appropriately as a
subscript. The problem is that the font size of these subscripts and
superscripts visually appears MUCH larger than the font of the superscript
or subscripts for which I manually applied the character tag. So, I created
an additional Character Tag called EquationVariables_SuperSubScript and set
everything to as-is OTHER than the font size and set that to a font size of
8 pt - something in an attempt to get these strings to look like the
free-handed subscript/superscripts in other variables. In the Equation Fonts
dialog box, I mapped Strings to this new tag, but. . . . this doesn't seem
to make one darned bit of difference. The strings appear to remain
noticeably larger in font size than I want. I have tried the other route w/
Small Equation size but then the C is MUCH smaller than the required font. .
etc. I am just going in circles but from the other direction. So I tried a
third approach where the C was just freely entered text, and then I entered
each string as independent equation and that solved the font size issue for
whatever reason, but positioning one string as a subscript and one as a
superscript is simply not feasible. If anyone can point me in the right
direction to resolving this dilemma, I would be most appreciative. It is
definitely a visual issue that my SMEs have flagged and they want it
resolved (understandably) before the final publication of this manual and I
am just bonkers at this point. TIA, TVB Tammy Van Boening Tammy dot
vanboening at spectrumwritingllc dot com www.spectrumwritingllc.com _____