[Framers] Why so many of us feel the way we do about Adobe

Shmuel Wolfson shmuelw1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 01:59:36 PDT 2021

I don't know why everyone likes bashing FrameMaker.

Is there anything else that:
• Is suitable for long books.
• Gives you PDF output as is appears while you are working (WYSIWYG).
• Can be converted to online help, (even if it requires buying an extra
program).

FM happens to have online help conversion built-in, but I could live
without that if that was another decent authoring tool that worked
together with another decently priced conversion tool.

Word comes close to checking all those boxes, but has problems with
large files and other issues.

Someone mention another page layout program recently, but I forgot what
it was. Maybe it was Xara Page & Layout Designer. But can it do online
help at all?

Please post if you know of another authoring tool that is excellent for
PDFs and can be used for online help.

My biggest gripe with FM is the price, but you know what, you really
don't need to buy every new version that comes out. Do you buy every new
smartphone that comes out, or wait until you need a new phone? Anyone
under 20 is excluded from answering that question :)

--
Shmuel Wolfson
Technical Writer