[Framers] FrameMaker 2020 vs 2019

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Fri Oct 15 10:08:32 PDT 2021

Sean,

    The binary data in a FrameMaker file identifies the version of
FrameMaker used to create the file. Each version of FrameMaker can open
files created in that version and earlier, but not files created in a
later version. In particular, FM 2019 cannot open files created in FM
2020, regardless of whether those files use any FM 2020 features that
were not available in earlier versions.

    Each version of FM can save files as previous versions. Save As has
an option for the immediately preceding version. In particular, you can
open one of your FM 2020 files, and select Document 2019 from Save As's
Type pull-down menu to convert the file to 2019. That might be practical
if you only have a few files; it is a pain for a large number. An FM
2020 script or plugin can convert a large number of files and can
convert to earlier versions than the immediately preceding one. Of
course, any use of FM 2020 features that didn't exist in the output
version can't be preserved.w

   https://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/features.html (which you
can reach from the New Features button on the FM 2020 Welcome Screen)
describes what's new in FM 2020.

     --Lynne

--
Lynne A. Price