[Framers] read/write rules

dave at reqexperts.com dave at reqexperts.com
Wed Oct 20 11:32:33 PDT 2021

All

We are converting from Framemaker 15 32 bit to Framemaker 16 64 bit.

We use a structured application that includes a structured API to tailor the
XML that Framemaker produces. We normally use a very simple read/write file:

fm version is "16.0";

fm attribute "Level" drop;

fm attribute "BasePgf" drop;

element "GRAPHIC"

{

               is fm graphic element;

               writer anchored frame export to file "$(docname).png" as
"PNG";

}

But were getting were getting the following when we try to save a file as
XML:

"Fm dispatcher encountered an error and could not complete the translation"
and in the console window "Could not open the read/write rules file
(C:\Users\dave\Documents\Source\TMAA\Software\DHAManualsUtilitiesPDF2021\str
uctapp\Frame To XMLrw.fm). Make sure that you have read access to the file
and that the file is not already in use. Error reading the rules file
(C:\Users\dave\Documents\Source\TMAA\Software\DHAManualsUtilitiesPDF2021\str
uctapp\Frame To XMLrw.fm). XML save aborted.

We opened the read/write rules, resaved as FM16, ran the rule checker and
nothing changed. So for testing we removed the read/write rules from the fm
application definition and we are now getting this:

"Fm dispatcher encountered an error and could not complete the translation"
and in the console window "Could not open the read/write rules file
(C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\structure\xml\default.rw).
Make sure that you have read access to the file and that the file is not
already in use. Error reading the rules file (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe
FrameMaker 2020\structure\xml\default.rw). XML save aborted."

We have been using this application and read/write rules for 8 years. Does
anyone have any idea what we may be doing?

Thanks

David L. Hottman

Compliance Automation, Inc