[Framers] Maker.ini - Language Setting Question

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Fri Sep 10 08:29:48 PDT 2021

Alison,

    Are you editing your personal maker.ini in C:\Users\<your user
name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\16 or FrameMaker's default which
is probably in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020?

   If the former, you might want to close FrameMaker, make a backup copy
of C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\16, delete
the original directory, and restart FrameMaker. Do you still get the
error message about initializing dictionaries?

    Most users do not want to reset the LanguageDir option in maker.ini.
By default it is set to "dict" which points to C:\Program
Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\dict. This directory contains the
spelling dictionaries available to FrameMaker. Which of these spelling
dictionaries you use depends on the languages set in your paragraph formats.

    Winfried's suggestion to reinstall FrameMaker assumes you were
asking about the user interface language used in menus, dialog boxes,
and various templates. Canadian English is not an option for the UI
language, where the possibilities are North American English,
International English, French, German, and Japanese. If you choose North
American English, the default templates do use US English.

    Winfried also referred you to the INI Reference manual. You may
recognize the setting you need there.

    Do you remember what the setting you want affected? Are you sure it
was in maker.ini?

     --Lynne

--
Lynne A. Price