[Framers] Maker.ini - Language Setting Question

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Fri Sep 10 13:06:26 PDT 2021

On 9/10/2021 9:54 AM, A Craig wrote:
> I'm trying to configure the default maker.ini in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020 (I always keep an original backup copy). I had no idea there were 2 of them.

When FrameMaker starts, it reads the maker.ini file in Program Files,
then it reads the maker.ini file in your 16 folder. Thus, it uses a
combination of the settings in the two files, with those in your
personal file overriding those in Program Files. If different users use
the same system, the file in Program Files is a default for all of them.

When FrameMaker closes, it saves current settings (such as recent files)
in the maker.ini file in the user's 16 folder, creating that file if it
doesn't exist.

> I'm not trying to reset " LanguageDir", I'm trying to reset " Language=USEnglish" (under Generic information) to "Language=CanadaEnglish" - which I think is the correct wording.
> And the setting was definitely in maker.ini (I've found an old maker.ini from years ago to confirm that).
Language is not discussed in the INI Reference manual. You can edit it
with a text editor, but I don't believe it has any effect. When you
install FrameMaker, the user interface language you select determines
the value specified for Language in the maker.ini file in FrameMaker.
Again, the language chosen in the installer determines the language used
in templates such as the Landscape and Portrait templates, but to change
those templates you need to edit the templates, not make a setting in
maker.ini.

> Can you tell me where, in FrameMaker, I can find a list of installed dictionaries? I've found the list of spellcheckers in "Preferences" and "English (Canada)" is included. But I don't know if that means the language I need is actually installed.
I believe the list in Preferences is created from the information in the
directory specified by LanguageDir.

I created a new portrait document and typed "colour color" in it. I set
the language on the Font page of the paragraph designer to English
(Canada) and FM reported "color" as a spelling error. When I set the
language to English (US), it reported "colour" as an error.

If you want FM to use the English (Canada) when it checks spelling, your
paragraph formats need to specify English (Canada) as the language. Let
us know if you have multiple documents or multiple paragraphs that
specify a different option.

> If it's missing, do I need to completely reinstall FrameMaker? Or perhaps there's a place on the Adobe website where I can download the language (if it's missing) and somehow just install that?
>
> And as far as Fred's suggestion that maybe IT missed the language during the installation, on the day our computers were re-imaged, we got to install our own programs with a temporary 2 hour window of "Admin Privileges". So if it's not installed, it's my own fault. However, I always tend to over-install options, so I can't think that I would have somehow deselected Canadian English (but it's not beyond the realm of possibilities).

I suspect that the only reason to reinstall is if you can't clear the
error about not being able to find the LanguageDir.

     --Lynne

--
Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.