[Framers] OT: Reference question

tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com
Tue Sep 28 14:16:18 PDT 2021

OK, I know this is off-topic but because this list is filled with seasoned
veterans of technical writing, I know I can get my answer here. I am working
on the references for a client document, and have to sort through the
existing references that I was given and make sure it is accurate, current,
etc., and I came across a couple of instances of a reference within a
reference such as:

Rodgers, T., Leahy, D., et al. (2005). "Physiologically based
pharmacokinetic modeling 1: predicting the tissue distribution of
moderate-to-strong bases." J Pharm Sci 94(6): 1259-76.

Rodgers, T., Leahy, D., et al. (2007). "Rodgers T, Leahy D, Rowland M. 2005.
Physiologically based pharmacokinetic modeling 1: Predicting the tissue
distribution of moderate-to-strong bases. J Pharm Sci 94:1259-1276." J Pharm
Sci 96(11): 3151-3152.

You can see that the first reference is embedded/cited in the second
reference. This was not the way that I was taught a gazillion years ago to
cite an embedded reference. Basically, if the content of the embedded
reference was standalone in a new reference, regardless of the source, then
the new reference was all that was cited, for example:

Rodgers, T., Leahy, D., et al. (2007). Physiologically based pharmacokinetic
modeling 1: Predicting the tissue distribution of moderate-to-strong bases.
J Pharm Sci 96(11): 3151-3152.

I looked at these papers and the content was standalone in the second
reference and it cited the first reference for the content, but because the
content was standalone in the second reference, I should cite only the
second reference where appropriate. (God, does that even make sense. . . I
am thinking of the Friends episode, "The One Where Everybody Finds Out," and
they don't know that we know that they know and Joey loses his mind.)

I just need some advice from some seasoned writers about how to handle this.

Thanks!

TVB

  _____

<https://home.mcafee.com/utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-e
mail&utm_content=emailclient?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=s
ig-email&utm_content=emailclient> 	Scanned by McAfee
<https://home.mcafee.com/utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-e
mail&utm_content=emailclient?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=s
ig-email&utm_content=emailclient>  and confirmed virus-free.