[Framers] transitioning from Frame 7 to 2020

Reng Winfried w.reng at carecom-solutions.com
Fri Apr 22 00:36:09 PDT 2022

Hi Wendy,

I think that FM 2020 is much better than FM 7!
And Acrobat does not cause any problems.
In my experience FM 2020 in the latest version is very stable.
After the installation update to FM 16.0.4 (Help | Updates).
16 is the internal major version number.

Yes. Saving as MIF from FM 7 and then saving this with FM 2020 is a good idea.
If you have lots of files, you might buy FrameScript and ask
one of the developers on this list to provide a script which saves
as MIF automatically.

Your fonts should only be a problem, if you have a font with a special
encoding, e.g. for Eastern European languages.
(In marker text this could be a problem.)
FM now transfers also old non-Unicode fonts without issues.
Generally I would strongly recommend to switch to a Unicode font!

Apart from this I never heard of any issues.
And also users who upgrade with each version have old files which they have
to update.

Yes. You can install as many FM versions in parallel as you like.
(With Acrobat you can install only one version.)
You do not have to uninstall FM 7.
Only install Acrobat first and then FM.
If you install on a new PC, install Acrobat first, then FM 7 and then FM 2020.
Then the fm file name extension will be bound to FM 2020.
If you have Acrobat Standard or Pro, do not install the headless Acrobat Distiller of FM 7!

Best regards

Winfried