[Framers] FM2019 and gremlins

tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com
Tue Feb 22 15:29:32 PST 2022

So,

I just opened FM2019 (Windows 10, 64-bit, fully updated) for the first time
in in about a month and a half and whoa. . . the Welcome screen has been
taken over by gremlins apparently. . . it has a totally different layout,
font size, different options etc.  I had no idea that this was even
possible. . .I mean it's a desktop app with a perpetual license so the app
doesn't have to "phone home"  when I launch it , but then even further,
after I opened the book that I last worked on 6 weeks ago, and for one file
in the book, I am getting the following message:

The file "filename.fm" is not a FM file. Framemaker can try to open the file
in either Framemaker or in the file's native application. Uh, the file
>>IS<< an FM file . .  . I just worked on it 6 weeks ago w/out any issues.

When I click on the Framemaker option, I then get a second message stating
that the file can't be opened with this version of FM. . . but it's a file
that I just opened 6 weeks ago. I punted and then tried the heroic open
option to no avail.

I know the chances of this oddity being related to the Welcome screen
metamorphosis is pretty slim, but >>SOMETHING<< had to change in the app to
give me two issues at once.

Thoughts???? I really, really  need to be able to open this file.

TIA,

TVB

Tammy Van Boening

Tammy dot vanboening at spectrumwritingllc dot com

www.spectrumwritingllc.com