[Framers] Running FM from external device?

Harding, Dan dharding at illinois.edu
Mon Jul 4 05:01:58 PDT 2022

Another alternative (that you didn't ask for, but heck...): if you have decent ethernet connectivity, instead of multiple installs, use Remote Desktop to remote into your primary desktop and continue to do all your work on a single device and unlimited (non-simultaneous) remote devices.

I shifted to this work model about 4 years ago and it has been a boon to flexibility. I maintain a physical desktop workstation at my formal work location, but I am never there. I've been working remotely 100% since the onset of COVID (now retired but still doing Frame work freelance). By using Remote Desktop, I can work from any of the computers at my house or when I'm on the road, as there still is only 1 actual install of the software.

Remote Desktop has come a long way from where it once was, now supporting multiple high-resolution monitors, mapping of both local and remote print devices, storage, audio/video, etc.

I work with dual 4K monitors when in Frame and it's fine over Remote Desktop. It feels like I'm physically working on my office desktop.

The only potential downside is that you need to have good broadband connectivity for this to work and VPN encryption can cause certain actions to take longer than others.

Regardless, it is infinitely more viable than trying to juggle licenses on physical machines or worrying if one goes down or gets lost with important files on it.

-Dan