[Framers] Save to PDF - Minutes turned into hours

Simon BUCH simon.buch at m-ais.com
Tue Jun 14 00:15:24 PDT 2022

Hello,

I have experienced this many times with my customers where documents
fail to print, or are very slow to print.

The behaviour seems to be exacerbated by having embedded PDF in a
FrameMaker document, or graphics that contain transparency.

I discovered this years ago, and it's actually an interaction between
Microsoft anti-virus products and the Acrobat Distiller [Adobe PDF
printer] process that causes it to hang while attempting to print any
documents which contain embedded graphics with transparency areas.
Documents that don't have transparent graphics often print without any
problem.

The antivirus products known to experience this behaviour are:
•    Windows Defender
•    Windows Intune Endpoint Protection
•    Microsoft Security Essentials
•    Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection
•    Microsoft Forefront Security for SharePoint
•    Microsoft Endpoint Protection
•    Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection

To allow FrameMaker and Acrobat Distiller to print, and if you make use
of Microsoft anti-virus products, it is recommended to configure the
antivirus product to exclude scanning the processes such as:
%ProgramFiles%\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2019\FrameMaker.exe
%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Adobe\Acrobat 2015\Acrobat\acrodist.exe
… and also to exclude scanning the folders and files below:
%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Adobe

If your IT department don't permit you do add these exceptions, inform
them that their choice of antivirus product prevents you from producing
PDF using the Adobe PDF printer, and make it *their* problem!
I would also advise them that the Microsoft "Print to PDF" printer is
*not* an option as it does not provide all the features you require to
create your PDF.

I hope this helps resolve the problems you have experienced.

Regards
/// Simon BUCH